20 ml olive oil (1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp.)
juice of one lemon
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons dried oregano or one tsp of fresh oregano, chopped
3 teaspoons Nando's peri-peri sauce (kosher in AU!) or 1 teaspoon chili powder or use
the homemade peri-peri sauce below
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
30 ml tomato paste (2 Tbsp.)
160 ml fruit chutney (heaping 2/3 cup) (I use mango chutney)
8 chicken thighs and legs, skin and fat removed
1. Quickly brown the chicken pieces in a bit of olive oil - do not cook too long if using slow cooker
2. Use some of the olive oil to grease the slow cooker (or casserole)
3. Place the rest of the oil and all other ingredients except the chicken in the slow cooker or casserole and stir to mix.
4. Remove any excess fat from the chicken pieces and place in the slow cooker or casserole dish.
5. Stir to coat well with the marinade.
6. Cover and cook on LOW overnight or place casserole on your blech over low heat.
7. Serve hot on Basmati rice, with salad and bread.
This delicious recipe can easily be doubled. You can also cook it more quickly for the evening meal by cooking in a conventional oven as directed at top of recipe.
This does make a great winter Hamin or Cholent, though.
Homemade Piri-Piri Sauce:
10 – 12 birdseye chillies, chopped finely (medium size, medium heat)
Juice of ½ lemon
1/3 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp garlic powder or 2 fresh garlic cloves, pressed)
1/4 tsp corriander powder or 1 tsp chopped fresh corriander/cilantro
Place above ingredients into a blender or magic bullet and puree it all together. Be careful to wash your hands or wear gloves when handling the chilis!