- 1/2 cup sugar ( If you want it sweet, increase to 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup water (for the simple syrup)
- Juice from 4 - 6 lemons (roll on counter first to make them give up more juice)
- 3 to 4 cups cold water (to dilute) or add heaps of ice to your pitcher, as I do.
- A few thin slices of lemon - for the pretty!
1 Make simple syrup by heating the sugar and water in a small saucepan until the sugar is dissolved completely.
2 While the sugar is dissolving, use a juicer to extract the juice from 4 to 6 lemons, enough for one cup of juice.
3 Add the juice and the sugar water to a pitcher. Add 3 to 4 cups of cold water or heaps of ice, more or less to the desired strength. Refrigerate 30 to 40 minutes. If the lemonade is a little sweet for your taste, add a little more straight lemon juice to it. It should be just right - I've had no complaints!
Serve with ice, sliced lemons. This is a nice substitute for bubbly soft drinks for Shabbat.