Thursday, September 27, 2012

Balsamic Vinaigrette - Easy, Delicious Salad Dressing

My dear sweet friend Elizabeth, from Nothing But An Apron On and her husband graced my Shabbat day table with a surprise visit.  I had prepared a salmon quiche and Elizabeth threw together a salad with the most amazing Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing that she had purchased from a roadside stand.  I could not get the taste of that salad, complete with an abundance of freshly picked multi-coloured cherry tomatoes, out of my mind.

I have come up with this dressing and it is as close as I can get to the taste.  When Elizabeth tries it out, any adjustments will be updated here.

Note:  Good quality Balsamic Vinegar is naturally sweet.  You should adjust the added brown sugar after tasting.  You may need less sugar so use half the suggested amount first, then add if you feel the dressing needs more.  I used "Balsamic Vinegar of Modena" as it is one of the few excellent quality Balsamic vinegars that are Kosher here in Australia.

Enjoy!


1/4 cup balsamic vinegar - use the best quality you can get
2 teaspoons dark brown sugar, optional*
1 tablespoon garlic, pressed or smashed up
salt
freshly cracked black pepper
3/4 cup good quality olive oil

Shake or whisk the above all together. Taste and adjust salt/pepper.

Prepare for a taste sensation!

This salad dressing will keep for days - remove it from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before using as the olive oil will slightly solidify.  I have successfully halved this recipe.



No comments:

Post a Comment